Summer Drinks
mendocino bed and breakfast
Luxury Accommodations & Fine Dining in the Heart of Mendocino Village
Reservations | 800.609.0492
 
 ROOMS & RATES
      RESERVATIONS
      AMENITIES
      INTERNET SPECIALS
      PACKAGES
      PET FRIENDLY
 RESTAURANT & BAR
 ABOUT THE PROPERTY
      PHOTO-GALLERY
      WINE TOURS
      WEDDINGS
      MENDOCINO EVENTS
      SWEEPSTAKES
      DIRECTIONS
Concierge Services
Order a gift certificate
Join our mailing list:
MENDOCINO MUSEUMS OF INTEREST
There are three historical museums within walking distance of the MacCallum House. Each one contains fascinating information about the early settlers of Mendocino and their lives.
  » Kelley House   » Ford House   » Chinese Temple   » Guest House Museum
Kelley House / Mendocino Historical Research, Inc. -

Kelley House / Mendocino Historical Research, Inc.The Kelley House was constructed in 1861 by William H. Kelley, one of Mendocino's founding members and father of Daisy MacCallum. The house is just across the street from the MacCallum House property. It is an example of balloon construction in which the vertical studs in the walls run from the floor to the roof.

Kelley House, maintained and operated by MHRI, and is home to Kelley House Museum and Book Store, the offices of the corporation, and the archives. A reference library, extensive genealogy files, and more than 16,000 historic photographs are available to the public for research purposes.

MIRE is a non-profit organization dedicated to the collection and preservation of the ethnic, economic and social history of Mendocino City and the Mendocino Coast.
www.mendocinohistory.org
Ford House

Ford HouseThe Mendocino Area Parks Association (MAPA) is a non-profit corporation founded in 1984 to support the State Parks in the Mendocino area by providing educational activities and materials. One of the aims of MAPA is to increase the awareness of residents and visitors of the cultural and natural values of the area.

The historic Ford House on Main Street in Mendocino is the Visitor and Interpretive Center for Mendocino Headlands State Park. It is a short walk from the front gate of the MacCallum House. Current and historical information of the area is available to Mendocino visitors. The Ford House offers a number of videos for viewing with topics ranging from the great migration of the gray whales to the steam whistle logging era if the early Twentieth Century. All videos are presented upon request and at no charge.

Jerome B. Ford had the house built for his bride, Martha, in 1854. Ford was the Superintendent of the First Sawmill in Mendocino and is credited by many as being the founder of Mendocino. Exhibits at the Ford House carry the visitor back to another era. Local craftsman Len Peterson built a scale model of the town as it was in 1890, on permanent display. Throughout the house , exhibits of old photographs, tools and relics tell the story from the felling of the redwoods to the shipping of the lumber aboard the legendary doghole schooners. There is a small display of Native American implements and also changing seasonal exhibits on the local flora and fauna.

The Ford House Docent Council of the Mendocino Area Parks Association staffs the house and provides guided walks along the Mendocino Headlands. Themes for walks include Whale Watching, Mendocino History, and Spring Wildflowers.
Chinese Temple

Chinese TempleJust down the street from the MacCallum House you will find Mendocino´s Taoist Temple Kwan Tai. It is one of the last remaining items left from a large Chinese community who had settled on the coast. It was built on Albion Street, in a 33, by 80 foot lot bought from William Kelly (Daisy MacCallum’s father) for 170 dollars in gold by the Chinese community. Their was at one time a large Chinese community in and around the Mendocino area, nearly 700 during the 1870´s. The families used the small temple for religious occasions, offerings of food and praying. The temple is the oldest surviving one of its kind in California.

The first Chinese immigrants arrived on the coast, as seven sampans sailing for Monterey got off course most of them were lost at sea. But at least one landed on the coast 5 miles north of Mendocino, landing on Caspar Beach. The Chinese community grew with the jobs, mostly mining and logging. They faced much discrimination and were run out of town at one point having to get the authorities to safely escort them back. Around the 1900´s the amount of jobs on the coast declined causing most of the Chinese to leave. Only one original family remains on the coast, the Hee family.
Guest House Museum

Located in Fort Bragg, 15 minutes north of Mendocino the Guest House Museum is a three-story Victorian which houses historical displays, steam donkeys and railroad locomotives. The Fort Building is the only remaining structure of the 1857-1864 military post. 430 N. Franklin St. Guest House open seasonally, Fort Building open all year, Free
mendocino lodging Send this page to a friend