Lose the Blues, presented by Dr. Bauman, will explain the nutritional needs of people struggling with mental health issues such as depression, anxiety and insomnia. This lecture will focus on specific foods, herbs and nutrients that stabilize mood, enhance energy and clear a cloudy mind. Special attention will be paid to immune involvement in mood disorders and the nutrient deficiencies caused by antidepressant medication.
A slide show with notes will be provided for each participant. A five course Thai High Organic Lunch will be served by the extraordinary chefs of the McCallum House. » Menu
Depression rates have tripled in the past 15 years. Drugs such as Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft have become the foundation of treatment for depression and related disorders. Psychotherapy and extended counseling have waned (JAMA, Jan. 2002). The medical model has ignored diet, nutrition and lifestyle factors that can minimize both drug dependence and unpleasant side effects.
» Download Printable Poster (1.5 MB PDF file)
Just as Dean Ornish, MD demonstrated that a holistic program could reverse coronary artery disease, Lose the Blues offers a diet plan with targeted nutrients to rejuvenate exhausted organs and glands to support recovery, positive emotion and well-being.
Ed Bauman, Ph.D., is the director of Bauman College Holistic Nutrition and Culinary Arts, with campuses in Berkeley, Penngrove, and Santa Cruz, California. He has been a ground breaking leader and author in the field of whole food nutrition for the past 30 years. He developed the Eating for Health nutrition model, which is an effective way to promote optimal health, prevent disease, manage chronic illness and help people discover the joys of eating well. Ed can be reached at Bauman College, 800.987.7530. baumancollege.org.
The Lose the Blues seminar will answer the following $64 million questions:
- Why people are depressed?
- Why medication doesn't adequately manage depression?
- What is the differences between a depressed and a healthy person
- What is the impact of diet and lifestyle on depression?
- What are the key herbs and supplements to restore brain and
- neuro-hormonal health and vitality.
- What to do for a variety of mental health problems: A question and answer period for issues such as bipolar disorder, anxiety, insomnia, eating disorders and seasonal affective disorders.
Vitality Thai High Organic Luncheon
- Coconut Milk Soup with lemon grass, galanga, red chili flakes, nutritional yeast, sea palm with baked tofu.
- Grated Green Papaya salad with scallions, red peppers, cucumbers, rice vinegar and herbs.
- Tofu, Chicken and Fish Satay on rosemary stalks, marinated and baked. With Roasted Almond/Flax Gado Gado sauce
- Mixed Basmati Rice Pilaf with flax, hemp, cumin and chia seeds
- Red Curry with Green Mixed Vegetables (printable recipe PDF file)
- Thai Iced Tea with a swirl of rice or soy milk
- Dessert: Mango Lime Fruit Salad with a Rice Almond Cookie